Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Wine Break: A Wonder from Down Under


I always appreciate when a guest brings over a bottle to one of my dinner gatherings (dinner party sounds so pretentious, doesn't it?). But I REALLY love when they bring something good that I have yet to sample. Just recently a good friend brought over a lovely bottle of wine from the "Land Down Under". It was a 2007 Mollydooker "Two Left Feet". Now I've had Australian wines before and as the fourth largest exporter of wine in the world, I am sure you have probably had an Australian Shiraz before as well. I've enjoyed many of the Mollydooker label before but I've never had a chance to try the "Two Left Feet". This is a very reasonably priced wine folks, that will taste way above it's pay grade. Hero moment here people....OK...Let's pop the cork.

2007 Mollydooker Two Left Feet


A blend of a blend of 68% Shiraz, 17% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 15% Merlot, this is quite an approachable wine at a reasonable price. Now they say that you can cellar this wine for 5 years or so.....but come on....really. I mean have you ever tried to hold on to something that is so tasty and NOT drink it within 5 days of buying it? It's the proverbial red button with the label DON'T PUSH, that you just HAVE to push! But I digress. I would say go pick up two bottles, have one now...like right now....and TRY to cellar the other one.

The first thing you'll notice upon pouring is the color. Oh the color. You cannot help but be struck by the deep purple almost ink black visual texture of this wine. The next thing you'll pick up on is the nose. This is a BIG wine that has a black cherry almost chocolaty scent to it. But please, get your nose in there and tell me what you're picking up on. With a prologue like that, the taste does NOT disappoint. You'll pick up on the fruity flavor right away and continue to enjoy a nice spicy finish. Stop,savor. enjoy.....

Like I said this is a BIG wine and if you are going to pair this with food (and you certainly don't need to) I would say go with a big meat dish. A steak would do quite nicely, though we paired this with an Italian Braciole (kind of a rolled up meat dish) and it worked wonderfully. You don't want this glass to end.

Until we do this again.

Enjoy....Have Fun...and Eat (er drink) Well!

TPC

.

No comments: