Thursday, April 14, 2011

Guest Cook Thursday: PDG and Brats!




This Thursday's guest cook shows just how creative you can be when you are forced to use what you have around you. You would be amazed what you can come up with. Seriously folks, I can't tell you how many fantastic meals I have come up with by this method. Though to be honest, I often forget to write down what I did...but never again!

My friend Clark was not to be put off by small hurdles either. He adapted and overcame what would normally stop the"lazy cook"....which we all...are NOT. But why listen to me when he can tell you for himself. Ladies and gentlemen I present to you Clark and his ..PDG and Brats
....Let's prep
..

"Dude,

I made the best thing tonight by chance and thought I would share with you. I had a hankerin for pico de gallo, but nothing else planned. I threw some things together and it happened to work out beautifully.

Here's what I did:

Pico de Gallo (PDG)-

My redneck store didn't have fresh peppers, so I used canned. I was depressed about that, but it was still good. Next, I diced up a tomato and half a red onion. For the spices, I went heavy on the cilantro and fresh lime juice, but you can do it to taste. Oh and one garlic clove. Make sure to get the "seedy gunk" out of the tomatoes and don't forget the salt and pepper (always to taste).

Then-

I poached some Johnsonville brats (I'm sure u have better options in NYC ) in beer and the other half of the red onion left over from the PDG. Make sure not to boil them or they will break open and lose their juice. I'd wait until you see the juices flowing under the skin. Then brown them up in a frying pan, to get that extra taste you know so well. In the mean time, I toasted pita bread in a 375 oven. Don't over toast because you want the the pita to soak up all those juice from the brats.

I dropped the brats on the pita, sliced them a little in the middle to let some of the juice out into the pita, smothered with PDG. Fold up and enjoy. Its kind of a simple mish mash, but it was awesome!

If your blog turns into a travel channel food/travel show, I think you will need a chubby pale sidekick to get drunk and add some comic relief. I know a guy.

Clark"

See? Just a dash of ingenuity, a pinch of creativity and voila you have a great little dish of love there. Heck I'd even chop a jalapeno pepper to bring the heat. Sounds like it would go great with some ice cold beers on a warm day watching the sun go down in the back yard. Sign me up for that please!

Until we do this again....Keep those recipes coming in!

Enjoy....Have Fun...and Eat Well!

TPC

No comments: