Thursday, April 28, 2011

Guest Cook Thursday: A Special Marinade





Our guest for this week went with an interesting yet incredibly versatile approach, and it was quite the delicious surprise. Instead of a straight up dish, she is sharing with us a homemade marinade and sauce that can be used on a whole assortment of dishes! Thank you Gina for letting go of what I'm sure has been your special secret for sometime.....well now you're famous. As with any good sharing of a secret we should hear it straight from the source. Gina...the stage is yours....OK....Let's prep....

Hey TPC!

Buckle up my friend because this is the best Asian marinade/sauce that will ever hit your pallet (but I'm a bit biased)! I always use to struggle with finding just the right stir fry sauce & marinade but finally nailed a recipe that is equally bold & flavorful.

This can be used with steak, chicken, shrimp as well as tofu. It's also a great dipping sauce for egg rolls. I recommend doubling, tripling or even quadrupling this recipe because you can keep the leftover sauce in the fridge for quick use in the future.

Ingredients:
3 TBS Dark Soy Sauce
1 TBS Tomato Ketchup (the secret ingredient)
2 Cloves Garlic, Crushed
1 TBS Fresh Lemon Juice
1 TSP Ground Coriander

Mix all ingredients until well combined (I use a magic bullet). If you want to get a little freaky, you can add a pinch of crushed red pepper to the mix...that'll kick things up a notch.

Coat your meat (or tofu) with the marinade for at least 1 hr to achieve maximum flavor. When it comes time for stir frying, add a bit to the pan but be sure to keep a little left over to drizzle on top of your heaping bowl of goodness.

I took a couple of pics of some beef & broccoli I made for dinner tonight. One is the "action shot" of it cooking in the wok with the saucy goodness and the other is the final plating (served alongside premium short grain brown rice).



Let me know what you think!

Gina


How about that kiddies? I'm already thinking of how many ways I can use this amazing little recipe.


WINE NOTE: Since you can't really pick a wine for just a marinade, here are some options on pairings: For
a dipping sauce for egg rolls - some champagne. As a marinade for steak - go cab. On pork - I would go with a grenache. For noodle veggie stir fry - I would defer to what the meat would be that is mixed in.

Until we do this again....Keep those recipes coming in!

Enjoy....Have Fun...and Eat Well!


TPC

No comments: