Saturday, March 26, 2011

Wine Break...an unexpected Syrah


My philosophy on wine has always been this.....find what you like....find more things like that.....buy as much as you can. Simple right? I know some wines and maybe you could say some very good ones, but I am by no means a wine snob. It takes some time folks. Remember Wineries, remember varietals, hell remember the damn label if you must, but start somewhere because the joy of a fine glass of wine is not easy to measure these days. But from time to time I'll share little gems I come across. Like this one....let's pop the cork.

2008 Owen Roe Syrah "Ex Umbris"

I actually came across this lovely Syrah by accident. I was on a local online sight and I noticed the Owen Roe name. I've had the Abbot's Table before (as you may have) and I have to say it's one of my favorites. But I had never had the pleasure of the Ex Umbris...until now 'Ex Umbris' is Latin for 'out of the shadows'.
.."Originally made as a one-off due to a wildfire that resulted in tremendously smoky grapes"...I'd say this goes down as a Happy Accident...and we all know how much fun those can turn out to be.

Once in the glass your nose will be treated almost immediately to aromas that are plum, jammy, blackberry and maybe even a little chocolate. No this is not a sweet wine. But that big jammy taste is so lush, it's almost velvety as it goes down.

You can drink this on it's own or pair it up with some Beef, Lamb, Venison, Duck or just a nice strong cheese(which I ALWAYS recommend).

You can find this bottle at many of the online wine stores....at least for a bit longer, as these go fast.

Until we do this again.

Enjoy....Have Fun...and Eat (er drink) Well!

TPC


No comments: