Saturday, March 12, 2011

Quick Wins..


Every once in awhile you're put in a situation where you need a quick win. And sometimes, you can trip upon a new discovery that in itself can be a reward. This holds especially true in food. Many new dishes came from accidents, lack of ingredients or just dumb luck. This was one of those cases.

Picture yourself if you will in a classic Manhattan steak house. Crystal clear Martinis at the bar....the smell of seared beef wafts through the air. Sides of mashed potatoes, creamed spinach and sauteed mushrooms decorate each table with the majesty and the splendor of a thanksgiving feast. It was in this magnificent world in which I would err.

While dining with some colleagues and (of course) my CEO I couldn't help but comment to someone who had just ordered their steak well done. After verbally undressing this person for such an abomination, I had the bad fortune of having my CEO lean in and say, "I order my steak well done too" . DOH!

TPC NOTE: I would do the same thing today. Eating a fine piece of meat well done is still an abomination in my mind. The more you cook it, all you are really doing is cooking the flavor right out of it....blech....anyway...

Prior to our first courses being brought out (Seafood platter and Steakhouse Canadian Bacon) the staff brought out plates, lobster crackers, seafood forks and lemons. The Canadian Bacon was the first on the scene. Now my friend if you've never had the pleasure of tasting this dish, I tell you now.....go change that! About 5 times as thick as your normal smoked house bacon, this is a slice of heaven.

The servers laid the bacon out next to the lemon wedges. It was at this point my CEO asked me, "Well what's the lemon for?"...without even hesitating (and really needing a win here) I grabbed the lemon and squeezed it all over my bacon stating "It's for the bacon...you'll love it". He hesitated, watch me eat a bite and then tried it for himself. A broad smile spread across his face as he concurred with my incredible "cuisine savvy" conclusion. Whew.....

MY friends when I tell you about happy accidents, this was truly one of the happiest. The fresh bite of the citrus cuts through the heaviness of the bacon allowing the true smokey taste of the meat to come through. I will never eat bacon without the lemon again. So if you ever get the chance, please, by all means spritz your bacon with a little fresh lemon...you won't regret it and you'll be the hero at the table.

Until we do this again....

Enjoy....Have Fun....and Eat Well!

TPC

No comments: